Monday, November 3, 2008

Insomnia III

Dear Blog,

Still not any closer to coming up with a viable solution for insomnia - but not for lack of hours thinking about it. Even during those sparse moments when I'm enjoying what some people affectionately refer to as "dream land", I'm subconsciously wondering how long it will last and what I need to do as soon as I can escape from it.

Tonight is the first school night after the time change. So technically, I've got an extra hour to sleep in. At least, that's what everyone's Facebook status updates are saying. Sleeping in isn't something I've experienced since I was a rebellious, lazy teenager, so I just group these people in with the rich and famous elitists that I simply can't relate to.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing though, this insomnia business. I usually get more accomplished between the hours of 1:00-4:00am than I do during the day when there are so many shiny things to distract me. All the articles you read on insomnia will tell you that opening up your computer is a fatal, overstimulating mistake, but what if you embrace this as an extension of your work day? What if being a part of the secret vampire society of the undead makes you vastly more productive? Hell yes! That's what I'm talking about! It's a GIFT, this so-called problem with insomnia. Who says we need to work from 8-5, have dinner, then slip into blissful unconsciousness until 6am the next morning when we wash and repeat?

{Sigh} Alright. I'm going to give it another shot. Crawl under the covers, curl up in the fetal position, and try to postpone my thoughts about the week ahead until the alarm goes off.

Good night, dear sweet blog. Happy dreams.

Cheryl

No comments: